Finding Joy In the Simple Things...



I've been trying to keep myself busy for the remainder of this wintery season. It's been difficult, I might add. I am more than ready for spring and summer.

I have recently been visiting a few local antique stores because I've been in search of blue and white "made in England" plates that feature people and landscaping. I've had some luck, but not as much as I have hoped for. BUT what I did find last week, has brought me a new interest. I found these three large spoons, which could are probably small serving spoons. They are absolutely beautiful! I had no idea what they were worth, if anything, when they caught my eye in the store. They were taped together and for sale for a dollar (for all three). Crazy, huh?


So, anyway... I started doing some research and what I found out was amazing. These spoons are stamped WM Rogers. They also have a stamp on the back "Pat 1900." How neat is that? They are the York pattern, which I assume was popular because I was able to find others online. They are worth approx. $7.50 each, and I paid a dollar for all three. I've attempted cleaning them up, and they look better than they did. 

So that got me thinking... do I have any other old silverware? Yes! I do. And here it is to your right. This is an antique heirloom set that was given to me by my mother-in-law, and it was her mothers. It was in serious need of some polishing, so I spent hours last night polishing each piece, and this is what it looks like now. I wish that I would have taken a before picture, but coulda-shoulda-woulda, right? :) I started researching the brand of these, and I found out more neat information. The only marking on the back of the pieces is "Monarch Plate." I googled it, of course. And I found out that Monarch Plate was made by the National Silver Company, which was in prodution in the early 1900s until the 1950s. It took me hours to go through every known design to them to find out which design these were- they are the Mildred design circa 1936. They have a place for monograming, but they are not monogramed. Their worth, from what I research is about $150-175. They are in their origional box, from my knowledge, and they even have the original warranty certificate still with them. After doing all the reseach, it was thrilling to realize that there was value in something that I already had. I never would have guessed. I suppose, that goes to show you that Christmas can come at anytime during the year.

No comments: