What's Taking You Captive?

For the past few weeks, I've become aware of things that are captivating my attention. Things that really don't deserve my attention at all. The past few months my time has been spent in one of three ways: church, school work, computer. Church, of course, deserves more time than I can possibly give, and in order to pass my classes, I have to concentrate a lot of effort on school work. But the computer? It's given that I need the Internet a lot in order to do research for papers and such, but I spend more time on places like Facebook than I should.

My pastor spoke the other week on how things captivate our minds, and those things end up stealing our time. I know that what I do on Facebook will not matter to me (or anyone else probably) tomorrow or the next day. It has become a thief of my time. I think I spend more time reading what other people are doing than I devote to sharing my feelings. This has drawn me to the conclusion that I'm must be more interested in reading about other people's lives than I am living mine. How crazy is that? I would log on 4-5 times a day! Yes, it's only for a minute or two at a time, but it's ridiculous. So, I've decided in order to ween myself off a bit, I'm going to take a sabbatical from Facebook for a few weeks. Wish me luck!

I'm taking captive my thoughts again. I'm going to devote time to things that matter. Things that will influence my future. Things that will improve my life and the life of others. So long idol time. My life is wonderful, and I need to rejoice in that.

I'm going to leave you with a thought - What accomplishments are you most proud of ? Now, of those accomplishments, which will affect your life or other peoples' lives in 5 years? 10 years? 25 years? 100 years? 1,000 years? What you do today can affect the lives of everyone in your town, country, or world. My pastor asked us that today. Our world is changed by actions not idol time.

No comments: