Character Development: Let's Play 20 Questions

First off, I just wanted to provide a little update on how the 80 Days of Writing is coming. All is well! It's been fun to sit down and write everyday. I have mostly found myself writing poetry, but I'm hoping to get in a few short stories eventually. It's been nice to focus on writing instead of school.

I thought it would be fun to play 20 questions with our characters. I strongly feel that the more we know our own characters, the more likely it is that we will think like them when we write. These may helpful for your upcoming pieces.

1.) What is their name? [full name: first, middle, last]
2.) How old is he/she? Birth date?
3.) Where did he/she grow up?
4.) What time period do they live?
5.) What do they do for a living?
6.) What age range does the book cover?
7.) Was there any specific event in their past that has helped develop their character?
8.) Who is their closest friend?
9.) What will they face in your story or book?
10.) Married?
11.) Single?
12.) Divorced?
13.) Any children? Names?
14.) What is he/she's goals in life?
15.) Who is their love interest?
16.) What do they look like? [hair, eyes, frame]
17.) What is he/she's character strengths?
18.) What is he/she's character flaws?
19.) What will they overcome in your story or book?
20.) What do they cherish the most? [family, child, love, job]

Hope this list of questions will help you develop your characters a little more. Have fun with it! These could easily turn into a character analysis. Good luck on your summer writing!

Read you later!

1 comment:

Pam Asberry said...

This is a great basic list. I am going to tweet it to my followers. I also wanted to let you know I gave you a blog award today. You can stop by my site to pick it up. Congratulations, and keep up the good work!