Character Confusion: The Boundary Between You and Your Character


As you all know, I have been working hard on my second novel. I've found that it is more difficult to reach the end of this book than it was with my first one. I'm having a bit of a dilemma that I'm hoping for some advice on.

I've been told who knows how many times in my literature classes that just because as author writes it, doesn't mean that's their personal opinion. I've been able to look past that judgement when reading, but I wonder... what about mainstream readers? Are they always associating fictitious characters, plots, ideas with their writer? Or, do most people take it for what it is - fiction.

This is why it's a bit of a problem for me. My character, Sophie, is nothing like me. She's loud, promiscuous, and gets into more trouble than she knew existed. Also, the novel is a paranormal romance. I'm writing about a little of what I believe to be true and a lot of just "for fun" details. There is good moral and ending to the novel, but that's just it - it's the ending. I just don't want every reader to think that I believe everything that I put in my book.

So, here's where I need your help:

As a reader, as a writer - do you associate ideas/characters in a novel to the writer? 



2 comments:

Caledonia Lass said...

Personally, I try not to. For instance, while reading the House of Night series which is about a school for vampires and magic, I don't think the authors are pagan. There are lots of pagan rituals and rites in there. For all I know, the authors could be Catholic. However, there will be lots of people out there in your fan base that might think you have the same views as your character because a lot of people have problems separating fantasy and reality. There is absolutely nothing you can do about that. If you have a website, have a forums page for people to discuss these things and set them straight or say so in your author bio on your site or even in your books. A little note from the author never hurts. But I think if they ever come across your blog, they'll get the idea. But I doubt you'll have much of an issue.

Vanessa K. Eccles said...

Thanks so much Caledonia for your comment. I think it's a great idea to have a note from the author and make it clear on the website.