"Curiouser and Curiouser," Alice says to the white rabbit.


Quick Post: First of all, I hope all of you are having a wonderful and blessed 4th of July weekend. It's been a fun time here with eating, swimming with the gators, and getting little to nothing accomplished. Gotta love those kinds of weekends, right? :)

Anywho - I am totally a fan of Alice in Wonderland. The quote in the title really got me thinking today how our words (as writers) can really stick with people. We need to take thought into creating these sort of "catch phrases." Why? Phrases remind readers of the mind set they were in when reading your work. Of course, it's easier to remember phrases when we hear them in movies. That's only more reason to make ours stronger, more gripping.

I'm reading a book right now by Karen Kingsbury, and I've noticed that she knows what she's doing with readers. She ends every chapter with a phrase that makes me want to keep reading.

We all try to captivate our audiences with words. We are word wizards in search for the perfect phrase that will entice our readers enough to keep reading. And not only keep reading but love it while they do it.

So here's my challenge to you... fellow writer, reader, or friend... Give it your best shot. What's the best one-liner you can come up with right now- this minute. Have fun with it; sell me on your story, character, or idea. Make me want to turn the next page.

Make me curiouser and curiouser. :)

2 comments:

Cat said...

Loved your post. I especially like how you mentioned how you want to keep reading because of the way the chapter ends. That's my goal, to make someone get to the end of the chapter and think, "but what comes NEXT!"

Lovely post. :)

www.katrinadelallo.blogspot.com

Caledonia Lass said...

Hmm... I can't come up with anything right this moment. But I did want to say hi and that I am a new follower. :D