Be Inspired: Quotes from Literature




Who says writers can't be inspired by other writers? Of course they can! I am taking several literature classes right now, and I have been inspired by several one-liners that I've found throughout my reading. Sometimes these quotes can open up whole new worlds inside of our minds that can be moulded into a wonderful, new pieces of literature. I hope you enjoy.

- "One truth is clear, Whatever Is, Is Right." - Alexander Pope, "An Essay On Man"

-"...we must cultivate our own garden." -Voltaire, Candide

-"One might say that my heart and my mind do not belong to the same person." - Rousseau, Confessions: Book III

-"Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting." - William Wordsworth, "Ode on Intimations of Immortality"

-"Beauty is truth, truth beauty." - John Keats, "Ode on a Grecian Urn"

-"[His] life had been most simple and most ordinary and therefore most terrible." - Leo Tolstoy, "The Death of Ivan Ilyich

-"If I let you kiss my hand, you'll be wanting to kiss my elbow next, and then my shoulder." - Anton Chekhov, The Cherry Orchard

-"A terrible beauty is born." - William Butler Yeats, "Easter 1916"

-"The ceremony of innocence is drowned." - Yeats, "The Second Coming"

-"Or say there is beauty with no soul at all." - Robert Browning, "Bishop Orders His Tomb to St. Praxed's Church"

-"Out went my heart's new fire and left it cold." - Robert Browning, "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"

-"No Coward Soul is Mine" - Emily Bronte

-"Her tree of life drooped from the root" - Christina Rossetti, "Goblin Market"

-"Make the shut eyes of stricken spirits weep." - Algernon Charles Swinburne, "Ave Atque Vale"

-"My enemy is Madness"- Eugene Lee-Hamilton, "The New Medusa"

-"May He within Himself make pure." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, "The Epic/ Morte d' Arthur"

-"The wild unrest that lives in woe." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam"


Hopefully these quotes have left you inspired. Happy writing, my friends! :)

No comments: