Midday Coffee and Fairy Tales: Trends for 2012


Two posts in one day! I am on a roll here. ;)

I've heard that when people become adults, they have a hard time embracing the things they once loved as a child, i.e. fairy tales. Well, I'm here to proclaim that this is not always the case.

 Over the past few months, I've fallen in love with T.V. shows like Once Upon a Time and Grimm. (If you haven't seen these, you need to ASAP. You'll love them, I promise!) I never get a chance to watch them on their scheduled air times, so I watch them on Hulu. (To whoever invented Hulu: You're awesome!) I digress. Anyway, my dad, knowing the nerd I am, got me a copy of the Brother's Grimm fairy tale book. I cannot tell you how much I love it! My husband and I started on Christmas reading a story every night. Come to think of it, I guess that makes both of us nerds. lol

I'm making a prediction that fairy tale revisited books/novellas with an adult edge will be the "it" thing for 2012. I'm no stranger to writing my own versions of fairy tales. I wrote a play last year that was a spin off of the Snow White story. If I'm right on this, maybe it's time to get out our old fairy tale books to draw some inspiration. When looking to get published, it's (although sometime unfortunate for us) important to follow trends. That doesn't mean we write the same thing as everyone else. It simply means that we need to know what hot before the world knows what's hot, and I have to admit that this is one trend I'm happy to explore.

Check 'em out!



Happy writing!






5 comments:

Jessica (Peace Love Books) said...

I LOVE Grimm! And I'm so jealous that you have that book. I've been wanting to buy a version but never remember to when I'm at the bookstore. Have you read any of Alex Flinn's novels? Beastly was made into a movie a couple of years ago and it's a modern take on Beauty and the Beast. You should check out her other one's if you haven't because they're great and all based on fairy tales!

Vanessa K. Eccles said...

I haven't read any of Alex's novels, but I have seen Beastly. Loved it! Thanks for the info. I will be sure to check them out!

Autumn Dickinson said...

I love Once Upon a Time! I too followed Grimm for a while, but needing to cut out some TV time, I let that one slip through the cracks. I'd like to read the tales again someday, so I will have to put that on my TBR list for the year.

Fairday Morrow said...

I think you may be right! I haven't seen these shows- but I have heard great things about them. I hope I can catch them soon. I love fairy tales and The Brothers Grimm is an amazing collection. Very dark and intriguing. Enjoy!

~Jess
http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

Fairday Morrow said...

Thanks for reminding me about the Brothers Grimm. I've been going back and revisiting my favorites. Such a treat!

~Jess
http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/