Author Interview: M.C.V. Egan

It was my pleasure to interview M.C.V. Egan the author of The Bridge of Deaths. More about Catalina and her book can be found here and here                     

Brief Bio: 

M.C.V. Egan lives in South Florida with her husband and teenage son. She is fluent in four languages, Spanish, English, French and Swedish. She enjoys travelling, cooking, dabbles in Astrology as well as a wide variety of crafts. 

She loves to read a wide variety of books. She likes films and never compares them to “the book” as she feels these are two very different ways to “tell a story”.

She plans to make the second half century of her life as enjoyable as the first one, bit perhaps a little more exciting.

1.) What made you want to be a writer? 

I always knew I had many strong opinions and I wanted to communicate them. I am the 6th of a family of eight ‘children’ and it was not easy to have one’s voice heard over the 5 older louder siblings, the younger ones were pretty loud too! I cannot give you a precise person, book or moment, but I can say that whenever I turned in a writing homework, the teachers reacted in a positive manner and made me feel like I had “created” something that impacted. In my 30’s when I began to take an interest in Astrology I found that the position of my natal moon in Gemini made it an intrinsic part of who I am.

2.) How long have you been seriously pursuing a career in writing? 

 It took me 18 years to put The Bridge of Deaths together, but I feel like I cannot say that I was “seriously pursuing” the career as a writer. I knew I would eventually get there, but I had to make a living and at the age of 39, I had my one and only child. I put my writing aside when motherhood beckoned, and I think I can honestly say I really took it seriously in 2010. So the short answer is very seriously two years!

3.) If you had to choose three words to describe your writing nook/office, what would they be? 

Cozy, practical and bright.

4.) Where do you draw most of your inspiration from?  

I feel that everything inspires me, but the MOST inspiration must surely come from all the great writers I have had the privilege to read.

5.) Give us a one sentence pitch for your first novel.

Visit the true events surrounding the mysterious crash of the British Airways Ltd passenger plane in pre WWII Denmark through the eyes of a modern day couple researching their past lives.


6.) What are some of the projects that you are currently working on completing?  

I am working with a very interesting woman Jolie DeMarco author of The Second Big Shift: Meditation book of Higher Knowledge, Channeled Messages &life Advancement.  We are writing a short novel entitled 4covert2overt it is full of fun and interesting characters, interesting paranormal twists and some history.

7.) What are some of your recent publications?

I self-published The Bridge of Deaths, and I post from time to time on my blog and guest post in other blogs. I like to write short stories but so far I only posted one in a couple of blogs. I re-read it a few days ago, and cringed at several mistakes, but my little ghost story Over Dinner one night in 2008 had a nice response.

8.) Are you an outliner or a seat-of-your-pantser?

What a fun question! I am actually a combination of both. I do outline, I also make long lists and tick off the items as I cover them, but I am flexible and willing to deviate from my outline, after that happens however, I end up creating a new outline, especially now that I need to communicate with a co-author.

9.) If you could only own one book, what would it be? Why?

It would have to be a “complete works” of perhaps Shakespeare, or something more modern, but I cannot imagine just ‘One Book” that had only one story, but if it had to be one, Maybe Tolstoy’s War And Peace. It would have to be something very long, very well written and with a diversity of characters. I just re-read the question and I can imagine that owning one book is not like being alone with one book on a desert island; I could always go to the library…in that case W. Sommerset Maugham’s The Razor’s Edge.

10.) Favorite childhood book/books?

At the age of 10 that would have to be all of the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys, as I got a little older I fell in love with Jules Verne. I also remember enjoying Aesop’s fables, it made sense there was a message to the stories. I was raised in a very Catholic household and I was very familiar with all the biblical stories, but I must say they were not my favorites at all.

11.) If you could meet any author, living or dead, who would it be? Why?

I thought about this question and my standard answer is W. Sommerset Maugham, because I really enjoy the way he writes, but frankly I think it would be far better as a modern writer to meet a successful modern writer, and with that in mind I would Choose John Irving, I find his writing style very entertaining and I love to get lost in his books. The truth is that I could very well give you a different answer tomorrow as there are so many fantastic writers to choose from.

12.) If you could meet one character in a book, which would it be? Why?

This too is an answer that could easily change according to my mood. Today I would like to meet Magnus Pym of John Le Carre’s A Perfect Spy. Lately I have great curiosity over the complicated personality of a spy, and this book explores the complexities of such a personality. Tomorrow I might want to meet Peter Pan and tap into my inner child.

13.) Where do you hope to be as a writer in five years? 

In the spirit of admiring W. Sommerset Maugham, I’ll quote him, “It is a funny thing about life, when you expect the very best you often get it.”  As such in five years I would like to have written and published several books, including a book of short stories. I would very much like to be making a GREAT living as a writer and enjoying knowing that my books are translated to many, many languages!

 14.) Favorite quote/personal motto:

My favorite quote is from Carl Sagan (1934-1996):

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.”

My personal motto is:

“Be realistic, expect a miracle.”

(I adopted this motto in 1991 and it has worked wonders for me.)

15.) If you could give any advice to other writers, what would it be?

Trust your own voice. The grand cliché that all has been written and all has been said may have some weight to it, but it has not been said from YOUR perspective nor in your unique mode of expression.

3 comments:

Lena Winfrey Seder said...

Nice interview. Interesting author. I also grew up reading Nancy Drew. I'm impressed she knows 4 languages fluently. Not easy. Good luck on this new book!

Catalina Egan said...

Thanks Lena, I love to learn but I was also most fortunate to live in four different countries.
Catalina

Vanessa Eccles said...

Thanks again Catalina for your interview! :)