Author Interview: Christine Rice


Brief Bio: Christine Rice is the author of: Poetry for the Heart (2007, 2012), Essays for the Soul (2008, 2012), and My Not-So-Ordinary Life (2009, 2012). She is in the process of writing two more books that are scheduled to publish in 2012. More about Christine can be found here.

1.) What made you want to be a writer?

The book The Weight Loss Diaries by Courtney Rubin. She is a journalist and the book is a compilation of her columns. It sounded like a great career and I immediately started pursuing a writing career.

2.) How long have you been seriously pursuing a career in writing?

Since 2005 when I got my own computer. I began writing essays and poems on it that later became books.

3.) If you had to choose three words to describe your writing nook/office, what would they be?

Comfortable, decorative, practical.

4.) Where do you draw most of your inspiration from?

Mostly from within - my muse, my thoughts, my feelings - and from my experiences and the books I read.

5.) Give us a one sentence pitch for your first novel.

Poetry for the Heart is a book of twenty-two poems that portray emotions and experience about writing, writers, creativity, life, self-awareness, careers, childhood, beauty, animals, and more, that will surely touch your heart.

6.) What are some of the projects that you are currently working on completing?

I am writing two books, Chronicles of a Troubled Girl and Freelance Writing Guide, that are due to be published by the end of this year.

7.) What are some of your recent publications?

Aside from writing books and blogging, I write book reviews. One of them is for the book: Get Between the Covers: Leave a Legacy by Writing a Book by Neil Shulman and Eric Spencer, available here.

8.) Are you an outliner or a seat-of-your-pantser?

Most of the time I outline, whether it’s on paper or my thoughts before writing. I think it’s important for writing to be organized.

9.) If you could only own one book, what would it be? Why?

On Writing by Stephen King, because not only is it a book about writing, which are my favorite to read, but it’s also a memoir and that makes it extra special.

10.) Favorite childhood book/books?

The Nancy Drew series, The Dolanganger Series by V.C. Andrews, and Christopher Pike books.

11.) If you could meet any author, living or dead, who would it be? Why?

Geneen Roth, because she’s one of my favorite authors and seems like a down-to-earth person.

12.) If you could meet one character in a book, who would it be? Why?

Sylvia Plath (she wrote The Bell Jar, which is a memoir, so she’s the main character), because I understand her, and I feel like I could help her and be a good friend to her.

13.) Where do you hope to be as a writer in five years?

I hope to have many more books and ebooks published.

14.) Favorite quote/personal motto:

The purpose of life is to live, learn, and love.

15.) If you could give any advice to other writers, what would it be?

Follow your heart and do what makes you happy, because happiness is the most important part of life.

2 comments:

Vanessa Eccles said...

Thanks, Christine, for your wonderful interview! :)

Christine Rice said...

My pleasure, Vanessa. Thanks for the opportunity!