In the beginning was the Word...



Words are immortal. Ever thought about that? They are living. Whoever coined the phrase, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me," was fooling themselves. Sticks and stones do hurt, but words cut deeper. They are powerful and can be used to bring great joy or great sadness.

I've been doing some soul searching lately about why I am drawn to words and writing so much. It's has been my passion since I was a child. I've come to realize that writing is a part of my purpose. There is a wonderful book by Max Lucado (my favorite Christian writer) entitled Cure for the Common Life that explains how to have a full, exciting life. It's all about living what you love and loving what you do. Whatever you naturally excelled at as a child, is a gift that you've been given by God. Those passions, if pursued, are what will make our lives fulfilling and purposeful.

John 1:1 says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."Words were a part of my life in the beginning and have been since. I'm sure a lot of you can relate. God uses words. God uses a book. And they live.

So, too, will our words on a much smaller scale. If you asked Shakespeare in 1616 if he thought he'd still be the most famous dramatist in the year 2012, I'm pretty sure he'd say no. But, he is. There is no way of knowing how beloved our works may become after death, so it's important to choose words carefully, yet boldly.

Although, for most of you who are reading this, writing a successful book is a dream, but writing can only be rewarding if kept in right perspective. We need to always make time to spend with our family and our friends. We need to build relationships and cherish them. Great writers love deeply and choose to look at life in a beautiful way and share their beautiful vision with others through words.

I pray that this Spring offers new perspective and inspiration for your work and your life (and mine too for that matter). Life is truly good.

Blessings.

Photos by Favim.

1 comment:

Emily Wood said...

It was once said "The pen is mightier than the sword." Indeed, I believe it is. Words are so powerful. Great post.