National Poetry Month: How to Write Haiku


It's national poetry month! Yay for all us nerdy poets in the world. :)

I've been learning about how to write Haiku lately, so I figured I'd dedicate my contribution to poetry month to the fabulous art of Haiku.

Let's begin. In order to write traditional Haiku, you must:
  1. Have three lines. The first must be 5 syllables, the second 7 syllables, and the third 5 syllables again.
  2. Have a seasonal reference. (i.e. Spring, Winter, Summer, etc.)
  3. Have a surprise ending (sometimes beginning).
  4. Have two sensory descriptions.
Visit here for more detailed information.

Here's an example of one of mine:

A Spring's risen sun,
A promise of hope to keep,
Too bad Mondays lie.

There I have my three lines, the seasonal reference (Spring), and my two sensory descriptions (risen sun and Mondays lie), and my surprise ending.

I was reading in my Writer's Digest that some writers of Haiku have chosen to not limit themselves with the syllable count. That's fine too, but adhering to them makes it a bit more interesting and challenging for me.

For more poetry fun, head over to Rena Traxel's blog. I was lucky enough to be a part of her month of poetry. You can read my interview here. She will be featured here in an author interview on Thursday. I hope you will stop back by then.

Writing Exercise:
Now it's time to have some fun. Take a moment and write a Haiku (traditional or not), and post it in the comment section. :)

8 comments:

Rena J. Traxel said...

I love the new look of your blog! Thanks for the mention. I find writing haiku or any poem where I have to pay attention to syllable count to be hard. Usually I write poetry by the way it sounds.

Vanessa Eccles said...

Rena, thanks. :) I can understand that the syllable count can be a bit constraining. I'm a traditionalist, but I love to read it all.

Michelle Pond said...

Haiku also is an important segment of jazz poetry.

Vanessa Eccles said...

Michelle, I didn't realize. Thanks for the comment. :)

Lori Degman said...

Awesome interview, Rena!! Your novel sounds intriguing!!

Julie Hedlund said...

Great interview! I love the premise for your middle grade series Rena! I also love your tenacity and drive. Such a blessing to have you in the 12 x 12!

Rena J. Traxel said...

@Lori thanks! It needs a bit more tweaking, but I'm hoping to start the search for a publisher this year.
@Julie thanks! Being able to write full-time is a privilege that many writers don't have. So on the days I don't feel like writing I remind myself that I've been given the opportunity to follow my dream. Julie, the 12x12 challenge has been amazing. Thanks for hosting it.

Adam Gaylord said...

You inspired me to post some writing Haikus on my site. Check it out:

http://adamsapple2day.blogspot.com/2012/04/national-poetry-month-my-writing-haikus.html

Great post!