Author Interview: Mary Ellen Quigley

Happy Friday, friends! Below is an interview of Mary Ellen Quigley. For more information about Mary, visit her website.

Brief Bio:
  • Mary Ellen Quigley lives in beautiful central Indiana. She got the writing bug as a child in the fifth grade. The assignment was to write a funny story, and she has loved writing ever since.
  • While Mary Ellen’s true love is paranormal romance, she also does freelance writing and writes for Ezine Articles and Hubpages.
  • When not writing, Mary Ellen can be found with her feet up and her nose in a good book. She also enjoys gardening, crafts, spoiling her niece and nephew rotten, and spending time with family.

1.) What made you want to be a writer?

  • I have always loved writing. It was my fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Howard, who instilled in me a love for writing and telling stores. After that I was hooked. It wasn’t until 2006 that my sister and close friends actually talked me into sharing my writing with others.

2.) How long have you been seriously pursuing a career in writing?

  • I’ve only been seriously pursuing writing since 2006. I’ve always wrote, but prior to that I was too scared to share my work.

3.) If you had to choose three words to describe your writing nook/office, what would they be?

  • I have a nice little semi-office in the corner of my room. I suppose my three words would be comfortable, organized, and small.

4.) Where do you draw most of your inspiration from?

  • Music inspires me quite a bit. If a song evokes a certain emotion in me, I find it easy to turn that emotion into a story. I also love looking at photography and paintings depicting people. I’ll look at the image and wonder “What are these people doing? How did they get here?” My first book, “The Wild Side,” was actually based on a piece of art.

5.) Give us a one sentence pitch for your first novel.

  • My first novel was titled “The Wild Side” - When Leander Williams, leader of the Southern California Feline Pride, kidnaps Alena Johnson, a human doctor, to find a cure for the disease plaguing his people, he never thought they would fall in love. Visit here for more info.

6.) What are some of the projects that you are currently working on completing?

  • I have two books I am working on for later this year. “The Cinderella Dream” is a contemporary romance and will be released during the summer. “Nocturne” is paranormal romance. I hope to release it sometime next fall or winter. You can find more information on all of these on my website.

7.) What are some of your recent publications?

  • My most recent publication is a novella, called “The Wild Side.” I also have a book coming out on April 3, called “Lessons My Mother Taught Me.” It is a memoir I wrote about my mother after she passed away last fall.

8.) Are you an outliner or a seat-of-your-pantser?

  • I am definitely an outliner. I plan everything. If I try to be a panster, the story tends to come to a dead stop.

9.) If you could only own one book, what would it be? Why?

  • My one book would be Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon. The book is really long, and it is one of those books where you find something new every time you read it.

10.) Favorite childhood book/books?

  • I loved the Little House on the Prairie series when I was little. I also had this really old book of traditional fairy tales that my mother bought me. I can’t even remember what it was called, but I kept that book until it fell apart.

11.) If you could meet any author, living or dead, who would it be? Why?

  • I’ve already been blessed enough to meet the authors that I most admire – J.R. Ward and Sherrilyn Kenyon. There isn’t anyone else I am dying to meet yet.

12.) If you could meet one character in a book, who would it be? Why?

  • I would want to meet Gregori from Christine Feehan’s Dark series. I love to learn new things. He has lived for a long time and knows so much. In the series, he is the man that is most knowledgeable about the race’s history and their powers. It would definitely be an interesting conversation.

13.) Where do you hope to be as a writer in five years?

  • Like most writers, I hope to be traditionally published. That’s the big dream. Either way, I hope to keep growing as a writer and getting better at my craft.

14.) Favorite quote/personal motto:

  • I have always loved this quote from Henry David Thoreau’s “Walden” – “However mean your life is, meet it and live it; do not shun it and call it hard names. It is not so bad as you are. It looks poorest when you are richest. The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poor-house.”

15.) If you could give any advice to other writers, what would it be?

  • Keep writing. The more you write the better writer you become. Also, do be afraid to accept constructive criticism.

5 comments:

Mary Ellen Quigley said...

Thank you, Vanessa, for doing this interview with me. I very much appreciate it.

Fairday Morrow said...

What a lovely interview. I really enjoyed reading more about this author. I think it is awesome that she was inspired by her 5th grade teacher (my co-author teaches 5th grade and I know how much it means to teachers to hear that they inspired someone). I have never read Acheron- but now I am curious about it.

Thanks for sharing!
~Jess

Mary Ellen Quigley said...

Jess, I actually had the opportunity to student teach at my old elementary school. I got to tell Mrs. Howard just how much she meant to me. I made her cry, but it was definitely the best day for me.

Vanessa Eccles said...

Mary, it was my pleasure! I enjoyed having you. :)

Jess, thanks for always being so encouraging and supportive to my guests. :)

Lena Winfrey Seder said...

Vanessa, great interview! Interesting writer. Good luck, Mary!