Weird is What You Are When No One is Looking: Creating True Characters



Okay, so this is going to be an unusual post (just in case you couldn't tell by the amazingly random video).

I found this crazy little video on my phone a while back, and I have no idea when or where it was taken. I do not remember this at all. Apparently, judging by husband's words in the back ground, he didn't know it was recording. In theory, if he didn't know he was taping me then neither would I. Yet,  I still made some weird face. lol We all have a little weird in us, hence the title of this post.

Now, what's my point? I promise; I do have one. I even used my own personal embarrassing video to make it.

My point is, if you and I have crazy little moments where we do silly, borderline odd, things then so do our characters. To make a true character we need to envision them as real people. Real people with real oddities, habits, sayings even. We should focus on what makes each character different. To do that, we may use some of our own weirdness or habitual rituals or those of the people around us.

People watching is essential in creating unique characters, and we all know, if you watch someone long enough (or read someone long enough, in the case of our readers), you will find something that catches you as strange.

Embrace the weird! :)

What kind of unique/weird characteristics do your characters have?

6 comments:

Emily Wood said...

I totally embrace the weird! LOL Love this!

Vanessa Eccles said...

Emily, we have no other choice but to embrace the weird. We're writers, after all. Right? lol :)

Fairday Morrow said...

If someone was to watch me they would think that I do a lot of weird things. I try to put some of these things into my characters. I think being a little weird is fun. :) Thanks for sharing the video clip!

~Jess

Mel Chesley said...

This is an awesome post. I totally embrace the weirdness of my characters. I've got two best friends who will bet on anything, including their own fate. I have an assassin who is so secure in her skills, people fear her, but she tends to be insecure when she has to actually deal with people.
I have a dragon-like creature who can kill people with just a whisper, but she's super shy and timid. She always pats her snout when she has to be around people she doesn't know. It's her outward sign that she's nervous.
Again, great post!

Vanessa Eccles said...

Jess- You're totally right. Weird is so fun. :)

Mel- I love the insecure dragon. I can just imagine how cute it would be to see a dragon pat her snout when nervous. Great stuff. :)

As always, thanks for your wonderful comments, friends. They make my day!

Catalina Egan said...

Love this little post and the video is sweet.
I take walks with my characters and imagine how they react to things that are not even part of the story to get a very complete feel and be able to convey it...so glad you have fun with your characters Vanessa :)
M.C.V. Egan