Author Interview: Nicole Pyles


It's a pleasure to have Nicole Pyles with us today. A special thanks to her for her great answers. I especially enjoyed the advice she gives for other writers.

Brief Bio:
  • Nicole Pyles grew up in the Bay Area of California and now lives in Portland, Oregon. She has her Bachelor’s Degree in Communication and still hopes to be a published author when she grows up. Over at her blog, she writes about her journey to achieve her dream of publication and hopes to encourage other writers to continue pursuing their dreams.

      1.)   What made you want to be a writer?
  • For me, it wasn’t one particular person or even book, but it started when I was young and my love of books and telling stories just grew. I was writing stories as young as Kindergarten! I remember the first full stories I finished was about 50 pages handwritten called, “A Light Burns at Midnight.”  For me, I think it was the power of telling stories that inspired me to continue on with pursuing that dream.
2.)   How long have you been seriously pursuing a career in writing?
  • I’ve been writing and pursuing being published for a very long time. For the past several years I’ve been working on and submitting various short stories, although since graduating from college this past June, I have been able to give it a lot more of my attention.
3.)   If you had to choose three words to describe your writing nook/office, what would they be?
  • Oh wow, I wish I had my own nook! Mostly I write on the couch in the living room or my bedroom. So, I’ll describe my bedroom in three words instead…colorful, peaceful, and treetops (I live at the top of a very large hill where I can see right across the valley, so that just matches my view completely!)
4.)   Where do you draw most of your inspiration from?
  • The world around me! I also get inspired by weird things like posts I see online, things my family members say and what they observe. Most recently I got inspired by an abandoned house by my apartment complex as well as a graveyard you can only see from the street.
5.)   Give us a one sentence pitch for your first novel.
  • (Warning: this sentence may turn out to be a run on):
  • At the age of seventeen, Talia learns of the darkness inside her and her destiny to save her world before the Faceless Woman breaks free from the Underworld.
      6.) What are some of the projects that you are currently working on completing?
  • My goal right now is to finish my first novel by the end of March and I really feel like that goal will happen for me. Aside from there, I’m working on a couple short stories – one of which has been submitted to a few magazines, another is still in draft form.

      7.) What are some of your recent publications?
  • I haven’t been officially published yet! But, I do post some of my own video poetry on YouTube which you can check out here.
     8.) Are you an outliner or a seat-of-your-pantser?
  • It varies – I’m an outliner with longer works, but when it comes to short stories I’m a pantser.
     9.) If you could only own one book, what would it be? Why?
  • Vanity Fair by Victor Hugo or I Know This Much is True by Wally lamb – both of those are books rich with characterization and plot.
    10.) Favorite childhood book/books?
  • Tell Me a Story Mama and  Park in the Dark were my favorites!
   11.) If you could meet any author, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
  • Robert Jordan, because he used to be one of my favorite fantasy novelists, but he died within the last few years.  He is one of the novelists who have inspired me. (Another would be Mary Shelley)
   12.) If you could meet one character in a book, who would it be? Why?
  • Can I cheat and say my own main character Talia? I would love to know what she thinks of the book!
   13.) Where do you hope to be as a writer in five years?
  • I hate to say published, because so much of that is depending upon a lot of different factors. So, instead of saying that, I will say that I hope to have a finished manuscript and be done with my current fantasy novel. I also want to have another novel outlined and started.
   14.) Favorite quote/personal motto:
  • You are here and you matter. Don’t let anyone else define who you are. (as said by my mom!)
  15.) If you could give any advice to other writers, what would it be?
  • Confidence can do so much for you. Believe in yourself first – never be your worst critic, because there are too many people out there who are willing to wait in line to tell you how crappy you are. So, don’t be in that line. Be in the line of people telling you how awesome you are and to never quit.




6 comments:

Lena Winfrey Seder said...

Vanessa, great interview! Nicole is a sweet and very positive person. She has a great imagination, and she is always inspiring people with her blog. She is amazing! I can't wait to read her fantasy novel. I'm glad to learn more about her. Nicole is an interesting person and I'm sure she has a bright future!

RD Meyer said...

Great interview, Nicole. I wish you much luck for the future.

Nicole Pyles said...

Thank you everyone! :) And thank you for the great opportunity Vanessa!

injaynesworld said...

First of all, I grew up in the Bay Area, too. San Mateo and San Carlos. Second, I also live on a hilltop overlooking a valley. Enjoyed the interview, Nicole. And nothing pays off like persistence. Keep at it, girlfriend!

Kathy Lynn Hall said...

Nicole is a great person to interview. She is the very essence of positivity! I'm looking forward to her first novel.

This was a fun way to learn more about my online pal.

David P. King said...

Nicole is awesome! Thanks for the interview, you guys. You can never learn too much about your favorite bloggers.


I gave you a Shout-Out on my blog today. :)