Nook Reveal: Writing Nooks of the Past and Present


July is coming to a close and before we know it fall will be upon us. I don't know about you, but I usually spend more time in my nook writing or reading when the weather gets cooler outside. When the soft gray of cool approaches and the smell of pumpkin and cinnamon fills my house, it puts me in the mood to snuggle up with a good book and/or write one.


A few months ago, I read Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own and realized the importance in having a writing sanctuary. My new space is under construction now, but I've had a wonderful space for the past year that I will share, along with a couple of other writers and photos of the Greats at their desks.


If you're like me, you're sitting at your desk right now with perhaps a cup of coffee and maybe a few books stacked neatly (or not) on the corner. Whatever your doing, wherever you are, I hope that with this post you find a new appreciation of your nook and maybe even inspire you to spend some time there today captured by the trappings of your own imagination. Cheers & happy writing, friends.

Charles Dickens
Ernest Hemingway
Louisa May Alcott
Mark Twain




                     
                          Virginia Woolf

Author, Christine Rice's Nook
My work space is my haven for crafting writing pieces, whether they be blog posts, books,
book reviews, or ghostwriting assignments. I call it a haven, because I feel completely
comfortable there, which allows me to work effectively and effortlessly. Plus, I have everything
I need there, all in one location, which makes working easier. I have a small comfortable bed
next to my desk to do reading and research for my writing pieces. You cannot see it in the
picture, but I also have a bookcase that holds various books on writing that I occasionally refer
to. I keep my workspace tidy all of the time. I respect it and it respects me.


         Author, Rena J. Traxel's Nook

I work from home, and my home happens to be quite small. So my writing space is in my living room and has been designed to encourage creativity. To the left is my dining table but mostly it’s used for storyboarding picture book stories. I lay my corkboard out and swap around lines until I get the order just right.  Behind the table is a bookshelf full of references books for writers and my favourite picture books. To the right is where my computer sits and where I spend the majority of my day (writing, blogging, networking). You can’t see my computer a.k.a my scheming machine in the picture, but I assure you it’s there. The bookshelf beside my computer holds my favourite comic books and middle grade novels that way when I’m writing my books are at my fingertips. In the center is my cubbyhole  (inspired by the movie Inkheart). This is where I go with my notebook in hand to scribble down new ideas.  My husband built this cubby specifically for me. Bookshelves line the one side of the cubby and the cubby looks out on my deck and garden. It is the one place that no one goes except me even my dogs aren’t allowed in.


My Writing Nook

Sometimes messy, sometimes neat
A place to write, a place to eat
Comfy and spacious with southern charm
Bright and always perfectly warm
Windows lined with wandering greens
Offering inspiring scenes
Peeking through, I can see the lake
Happily, my seat I take.

A special thanks to Christine Rice and Rena J. Traxel for sharing their nook with us. 

8 comments:

Kirsten Larson said...

Rena, your nook is so you! I love your decor. I have big dreams for a real home office some day. Alas I used to have one, but then it got lost to a succession of nurseries.

Jeff Mazza said...

Hi. I often search the internet looking at writers nooks, dens or whatever they choose to call their own. It's cool that you've posted a few photos. You've given me the idea to post a picture of mine on my Blog. Thanks.

Rena J. Traxel said...

Thanks Kirsten. The same thing will happen here if we decide to have kids. I hope in a couple of years we can build addition on our house so that I can move my office from the living room.

@Jeff I also like to look at writer nooks. There are some pretty neat YouTube videos out there that walk through a writers' space.

Jeff said...

@Rena. Can you post a link?

Lena Winfrey Seder said...

Interesting post! I like the photos of famous writers' nooks! I'm also working on making my nook more me; I currently share an office with my husband, and sometimes I really want a space alone just to create. Anyway, I'm planning on one right now. It is important to make one's space reflect their personality and interests and to help creativity flow! Vanessa, good luck with your new one!

Vanessa Eccles said...

@ Kirsten - I'm in totaly agreement. Rena's space is amazing and how I would imagine such a great writer's spot would look like.

@ Jeff - I'm always happy to be a source of inspiration. :)

@ Rena - You're just awesome, simple as that. :)

@ Lena - Thanks for the luck; I'm going to need it. We're remodeling our entire house, so it will certainly be an adventure. Good luck with your new office too. I, too, enjoy seeing other writers' spaces. It's very inspiring.

DMS said...

Loved seeing the masters with their nooks. : I spend more time in my nook when it gets cooler. I loved Christine's space and my space is somewhat similar to Rena's. Mine is my kitchen table- but the whole table is dedicated to my writing (not eating). :)
~Jess

Vanessa Eccles said...

@ Jess- I'm hoping to one day have my nook set up. Then I could totally see myself spending entire days in there. Cooler weather makes me want to snuggle up to a book, or better yet - write one! Happy writing! :)