Day 2 of NaNoWriMo

Okay, first of all... I promise not to write a post every day the entire month of November. BUT I figured I vent my already frustrations and motivations of NaNoWriMo.

First lesson/frustration: When your computer independently asks you if you'd like to save your document, click "YES" not "CANCEL." Because you think you're going to be able to keep writing, and somehow you're in complete control of your computer. Yeah, think again. I lost my first crucial 600 words yesterday and had to re-write them again (or what I remember of them) on an already extremely tight schedule. Here was my day:
    1. Get new tires on car.
    2. Hurry home and pack up my life in order to spend a day an hour away from home.
    3. Drive for over an hour to family's house.
    4. Have lunch with family.
    5. Jot down the measly 600+ something words, twice.
    6. Notice that your shoes have decided to fall apart an hour before you need to be at school.
    7. Rush to shoe store, buy ridiculously expensive shoes that cause you to immediately have buyer's remorse.
    8. Head to study group at school, which no one but you shows up for. Awesome.
    9. Have unexpected but pleasant informal meeting with professors.
    10. Sit through three classes.
    11. Drive over an hour home.
    12. Eat a late dinner.
    13. And fall flat on your face into bed.
Yay for my Thursday! I failed at meeting my 1600 word goal on the very first day! How does that even happen??

Okay - I'm done ranting. Now for the upside. I was able to exceed the word goal for today and totally make up for my lacking yesterday. Relief. Also, I checked my NaNo inbox and found a wonderful little pep talk from author Kate DiCamillo. She said:

"So as you enter this month of writing, write for yourself. Write for the story. And write, also, for all of the people who doubt you. Write for all of those people who are not brave enough to try to do this grand and wondrous thing themselves. Let them motivate you."

Ahh.. I feel motivated already. Maybe even motivated enough to spend another few minutes writing.  :)

My NaNo nickname is VanessaEccles, feel free to "buddy" me.

How's it coming for you?

2 comments:

Ila East said...

Glad you are back on track. I'm glad I don't have days like that. I don't think I would make it. LOL

Keep up the spirit and drive.

Vanessa Eccles said...

Thank for the encouragement. Not every Thursday is quite that bad, but they are still pretty busy. I'm just hoping to hang in there and meet my goals this month.