Hump Day Musings

 
Photo by Favim.
 
Today is sort of an anomaly in itself. It's Wednesday, it's the day I crossed over the halfway marker for NaNoWriMo, and it marks two-weeks into the month. Pretty neat, huh? Well, I think so. And if you're like me, it's one of those oh-my-Thanksgiving's-NEXT-week kind of days. Every year Time decides to sprint towards Christmas. Research papers, finals, NaNoWriMo, book club, gift shopping, and many other things that I have to do keep me on edge about the time. All the stress makes me want to escape, and how do I do that? Books, of course! (Not to mention my favorite television shows, which might not be of interest to you since this is a blog for writers. Noted.)  
 
Anywho, the other day while sitting in the car waiting for my husband to come out of the hardware store, I jotted down a few lines in attempt to express my desire/love for books.
 
 
There's something to be said
about a life that's well-read.
One with countless stories
and characters immortal and undead.
 
A never ending flight
to a world behind sight
where minds are portals
and dreary days turn to wistful nights.
 
Life with a third eye
from which to question why
the world has definitions
but imagination reaches beyond the sky.
 
The most amazing power
comes from just one hour
nestled in a book,
and invisible to reality's watchful tower.
 
Are you thinking of making an escape? What book/s will be your retreat this holiday season?


4 comments:

~Charity~ said...

An unfortunate fact is that each year goes by more quickly than the last. An escape from the hustle and bustle would be nice. But I want to enjoy the season because next year will be here too soon. :)

Vanessa Eccles said...

Charity - You're so right. Next year will be here in a blink. I always enjoy the holidays. Thankfully when I find my life a little overwhelming, I can always find solace in a good book.

Joel said...

Hi, Nice post thanks for sharing. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back.

Thanks!

Joel
JHouston791@gmail.com

Lena Winfrey Seder said...

Nice poem! Well said. I have been reading various short stories lately. Planning to start on a novel soon.