Heroines with Heart Blog Tour: Interview with Author Z.L. Arkadie

It's my pleasure to have interviewed Z.L. Arkadie the author of Parched as a part of the Heroines with Heart Blog Tour. Take a moment and find out more about her and her book below, and don't forget to enter the contest to win a free Kindle!

Brief Bio:

I have a BA in Broadcast Journalism and an MA in Communications Studies from California State University, Los Angeles. I’ve read scripts, providing coverage for production companies and screenwriting contests but have been studying and writing fiction for over 13 years.
 
Visit her blog here.

1.) What made you want to be a writer?

Every one has that one thing that they do the best and for me it’s writing.

2.) How long have you been seriously pursuing a career in writing?

For about 13 years.

3.) What words describe your nook/writing space?

Sun and skyscrapers

4.) Where do you draw most of your inspiration from?

Inspiration is abundant. The writer’s thoughts are always active. You see something happen on the street that leads you to wonder. You look into the window of a restaurant and there’s someone sitting on a stool gazing, listlessly out the window and you wonder. And then there’s the index in our heads, memories. I draw my inspiration from all of that and more.

5.) Are you an outliner or a seat-of-your-pantser?

I’m an outliner. I call what I do creative outlining though because at some point I relinquish structure to pure creativity. I mean, yes, outlining is a creative process but it’s a different kind in a way that I’m aware that I am the writer and I am merely building the story. But when I start to know where I’m going, then I stop and go into pure creativity. In pure creativity mode, I as the writer am not writing the story, the characters are. And this is a great way to tell if I’ve hit the wall. If I get stuck, then I know the characters are done and that I need to go back into outlining mode to write up to my next beat.

6.) If you could meet any author, living or dead, who would it be? Why?

J.D. Salinger because I was right there, experiencing those few days of freedom with Holden Cauflield in the Catcher in the Rye. He wrote that story with such detail by capturing Caufield’s actions and reactions as he continuously moved forward.

7.) If you could meet one character in your book, who would it be? Why?

Whoa, tough question. Maybe Clarity because she’s able to know what I’m thinking and feeling at first sight. And then I would ask her, so tell me, who do you think I am? I’m curious to know.

8.) Favorite quote/personal motto:

“Can’t get there unless you push yourself,” Michael Jordan once very frankly said.

9.) If you could give any advice to other writers, what would it be?

Simple. Take it serious. A doctor is born with a gift but he or she still has to LEARN how to be a doctor. The same goes for writing. Our craft has been so romanticized that a lot of people who want to do it should probably be doing something else. It’s in the studying where one learns if he or she is truly a writer.
Description of Parched:
Get to know a new kind of Vampire for our kind of world…

“Baron Ford, he says and pauses to pick apart my expression, attempting to read how familiar I am with that name. I nod stiffly to give no indication I know exactly, who that is. I’m shocked to hear it in this setting, at this stage of my life, the one far away from Cambridge, Massachusetts over five years later.”

Advertising Exec, Clarity Parker thought she would never see Baron Ford again. Five years ago, she fell in love with him on their magical first date and then poof–he literally vanished into thin air. That’s why she’s past stunned to hear his name again. After all, five years have passed since that night. And to add intrigue to what Clarity considers an embarrassing and unforgivable insult, he’s asked that she be exclusively assigned to his multi-million dollar account.

Clarity tries her hardest to avoid Baron but he finally catches up to her and when he does, he issues a warning–things are not safe for her, especially since the fog has rolled in.

Before the day is over her entire world will come crashing down on her. Everything about her life that she thought was true is a lie, and she doesn’t know whether to jump for joy or rage against everyone who’s deceived her. However, she has no time to choose between reactions. Baron was right. Her life is in danger–so is his, and they need each other to fight the forces of evil that threaten them both, and possibly the entire world!

One thing’s for sure, from this point on, their lives will never be the same.


About Blog Tour: Heroines With Heart is a massive blog tour that runs throughout 2013, that features books with strong female protagonists. We have authors from several different genres, including young adult, mystery/thriller/suspense, romance, sci-fi/fantasy, and Christian fiction. We are also giving away fun digital prizes and sharing new and noteworthy books throughout the year
 
a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments: