I Murdered THAT

 
 

Most of you know that I've been working on editing my manuscript for a few months now, which has been torture. It always is for me. I should actually be working on it right now, but alas I'm with you. And you're totally worth it. :)

Through ravaging my work, I've noticed that I dislike things in my own writing.

  1. I hate that my fingers have muscle memory and type words that exist but are clearly not the right ones for the sentence, and Word doesn't notice that they are wrong. Therefore, I have to hunt them down.
  2. I hate that in my first go round, I didn't take too much thought in character names, and now I have to change them to make them fit symbolically.
  3. I hate that I'm a putter inner when it comes to editing. I don't take a lot of things out because I usually write just the bare bones. It would be much easier and take less time to take out the too much than to have to put in more.
  4. I hate that I'm impatient. I struggle to meet my own deadlines. For the first edit, my self-inflicted deadline is the end of this week. Well, I still have nine chapters to go. Good luck.
  5. Last but not least, I hate the word "THAT." I have noticed THAT I use it way too much! It's the way I speak, and we all know we should never write the way we speak. (Especially I, who grew up in South Alabama.) I've slashed, stabbed, butchered, and cursed every THAT I could throughout my novel, and I think it's better for it. Now that I've noticed this annoying problem, I've caught myself looking for the same fiend in others' works. It appears I'm not the only one haunted by THAT. I had a professor once tell us to go through our papers and circle THIS, THAT, THESE, and THOSE. Wow were we shocked to see so many circles. He then challenged us to take them out and/or replace them with actual descriptions. I've been trying to heed to his advice. I murdered THAT. The others will soon follow.
What do you dislike about your writing? How have you learned to improve your skill?

Photo by Favim.

 

No comments: